Thursday, May 17, 2018

Mitsubishi mini split a hit

Several years ago, and I won't even attempt to guess how many, we had to redo the ductwork and air conditioning in our house. In my mind, it was also around the same time we had a broken water pipe and had to repipe throughout the house so that all of it, duct and pipes, were worked on overhead in our attic. A small space that is even smaller now with all of the stuff crammed into it. Once the new air conditioning was installed, a job that took three days, I noticed that the bedrooms seemed hotter than normal.

The A/C guys, we were buddies by this point, returned but found nothing to indicate a difference in temperature. We had them return three different times because I knew I wasn't crazy, but other than messing around in my overly cramped attic nothing was resolved. I was told my bedroom was the farthest from the handler and thus it took longer to reach it. Whatever. A bunch of bunk to me since I didn't have this problem prior to the new air conditioner. Just sayin'.

I've lived with it. My kids have lived with it. I tell people that Tom and I are Jack Spratt and his wife. He can eat no fat and I can eat no lean. His cold and I'm hot. That's our life. Well, that and he refuses to pay a high electric bill and in Florida, one has to keep the A/C at a minimum to avoid that so, you can guess where this is headed, right? Our air is kept at 77 at all times. If he can, he turns it to 78 but I tell him it is too hot for his hairy dog and BAM that does the trick. His dog is the most important person thing. At night, the dog sleeps in our bathroom because the tile is the coolest place in our room. If only that guy could talk, I'd probably get to lower my air.

When the hot flashes began, the bedroom became even hotter. It wasn't just my imagination because when I would get up in the night and come out into my living room I could feel the difference immediately. I thought I was going to have to start sleeping on our couches, but we got new ones and they aren't large enough for my long limbs. I started sleeping with an ice pack. When the A/C guy appeared this spring for our annual tune-up I told him that I thought we had an issue and he stuck a thermometer in my vent. Yep. The bedroom was hotter. By one degree.

I told him his thermometer sucked.

Then my friend told me about the Mitsubishi mini-split one zone air conditioner and I passed on the information to Spratt. We saw them at the Home Show and had a few companies come out to give us an estimate. I finally vetoed it because the only wall it could go on was above our bed and I didn't want the air shooting down at us. As much as I wanted a cooler bedroom for night sleeping, I didn't want it blowing directly on my head. But, the heat must've even been getting to Spratt because suddenly one of the companies was back at my house. The two men decided the unit could go under our window and around the side of the house and BAM, we had our mini split.


It took all day to install because the electric had to go from my window around the side of the house and along the house to the electric box that houses our pool electric. Had it gone on the wall above our bed it would have already been along that side of the house. When it was finished the housing for the wires was sort of an eyesore. I didn't get a picture of it until after my husband had painted it to match the house.




I'll admit it looks much better. He didn't wait for the inspector who comes today so hopefully, fingers crossed, painting that thing isn't a big deal. But, the main thing is that my bedroom is COLD. Like, freezing at night. It is set at 72 degrees and I need a blanket. When I wake up to use the bathroom, my nose is frozen. It is wonderful. I can't tell you what a difference it has made in my sleep. Well, I think it has. It could be my two days of exercising. I'll have to wear the Apple watch to test that theory, but who cares? In my mind it is great.

Tom: "Happy Mother's Day"
Me: "If I just had a television in this room, I wouldn't have to ever leave it except to get food."

The only downside is that it is in the spot where the dog used to sleep. He starts out under the window under the drapes and then moves to the bathroom later in the evening. He isn't so happy about losing his spot, but I think he likes the coolness too as he sleeps in the air's path. All the way around, it's a win, win. 

I'm already pushing for more units throughout the house.

No comments: