Thursday, May 24, 2018

Uh huh

Saturdays I don't cook. We usually eat out or get something to bring in and we have our standard meals and restaurants, but this week I had my heart set on something different. I wanted pizza from a place on the beach and since it is kind of far from our house we went there to eat it instead of carrying it out.

We used to frequent this establishment quite often. Tom and I dated at this restaurant years ago and then it became a Friday night staple. We haven't been in forever and I was craving the pizza much to Tom's dismay. But he went along with me and we headed over to the beach. The parking lot for the restaurant is small and weird. There are about ten spots that are easily accessible and then there are ten spots where you have to be some sort of parking expert to wiggle in and out. Tom dropped me off, knowing that I would make helpful comments on how to park so that I could put in our name because he was worried the place would be packed, and he WAS HUNGRY.

The place was not full. As soon as I entered, I knew the air conditioning was having some issues. I'm a menopausal fat girl. I need air, and I know when that air is not as cool as I need it. I'm an expert. See my post on my Mitsubishi split mini. (Best thing EVER). So, when the host arrived to ask me how many for dinner I commented on the air situation because I was also wearing a top with quarter length sleeves. I needed some coolness.

Me: "Air conditioning not working?"

He mumbled, led me to a booth far away from the majority of the diners and proceeded to tell me that this was the coolest place in the restaurant and that the A/C worked just fine.

Him: "But all of the doors to the outside opening and closing tend to bring in heat and make the air conditioning seem hot. But it is fine. This is a great spot to feel it."

Uh huh. Yeah, tell yourself that all you want buddy is what I did not say. Instead, I made some Cara joke about damn customers entering and exiting, and he snickered and left. Tom arrived and informed me that he had no trouble finding a parking spot. Uh huh. I didn't believe him any more than I believed the host and his air conditioning nonsense.

Tom: "Why are we way over here?"
Me: "Because the air conditioning is not working and this is the coolest place in the restaurant according to the guy who seated me and told me the A/C was just fine."
Tom: "Causing trouble already, huh?"
Me: "I know my A/C and this establishment's air conditioning is not working no matter what that guy wants us to believe."

One of the servers appeared and asked Tom if he was driving the car that had parked in the back. Upon hearing that yes he was, she told him that someone had just blocked him in and to let her know when we wanted to leave and she would see to it that he moved his car.

No issues parking? Uh huh.

We ordered. We talked. I fanned myself with the napkins, the menu, and anything I thought would cool me off. More people arrived. Our food came. We began to eat. And then, suddenly and without warning, the entire place went dark. BOOM. No electricity. Uh huh.

Me: "I told you. They have an air conditioning problem and now the damn thing has blown out the entire building."
Tom: "You don't know that."
Me: "I do know that."


One by one people left the restaurant. The server explained the entire beach was black, yet right across the street I could see lights on in the hotel and lights on in their garage. I remained quiet. We finished our meal in the dark. We had to pay using the old time credit card system of carbon paper and the waitress had to use a calculator to tally up the bill. She did not factor in her tip. We left.

Me: "You forgot to alert the server about us leaving."
Tom: "Whoever parked behind us will be gone by now. We closed down the restaurant."

Yet, when we got to our car a big, white van was parked behind us blocking us in. Guess what the big, white van said on the side? Air Conditioning Repair.

Uh huh.



4 comments:

A simple life said...

Can't stop laughing. I've eaten there, I believe, and if I remember....it was quite cold. Maybe the overworking of the air led to a death of the system :)

Jay Brewer said...

Really felt like I was there. I love these weird choices we all sometimes make that lead to the most memorable nights.

ClintDick said...

Mm hmm... :)

ClintDick said...

Mm hmm.... :)