Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day 2018

I spent Mother's Day 2018 motherless and childless. But my husband took good care of me starting with pastries and coffee and ending with hamburgers on the grill. Apparently, feeding me is all it takes to please me.





Until she got miserably ill, my mom was the bomb. My best friend. My mentor. We had a wonderful, loving childhood and my mother was our champion, our cheerleader, and our go-to in times of trouble. I had a dream recently where I needed to get Madison packed and on a plane in Orlando to head back to school. She had forgotten all about it and we were scrambling around the house. I was freaking out, yelling, and frantic about getting her to Orlando and suddenly there was my mother who drove like Mario Andretti, pulling right up into the airport building to drop off the luggage and Maddy. Typical Connie. I thought it a fitting dream for Mother's Day. 





These two...these two are my life. The greatest thing I ever did in life was raise these girls. All I ever truly wanted to be was a mother. I believe that it was what I was meant to be and I think I've done a pretty decent job. My mother constantly told me that I was a better mother than she ever was or would be. I cherish that since I thought she did a damn fine job herself.


I suppose I'm now the mother of this guy. He's the only one left in the household for the most part and from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., give or take a couple of hours, this guy belongs to me Monday through Friday and the occasional weekend. I'm not going to lie, that dog is another part of my life and I love him dearly. He didn't get me anything for Mother's Day though. I marked that down.


We spent the day before the holiday with my MIL. I have been blessed to have her in my life all of these years. She is loving, generous, and very funny. We had a wonderful day talking, sipping wine, and ended it with a lovely dinner out on the town. So thankful to have one mother around to spoil!

Happy Mother's Day to all those women out there who have mothered someone or something in life. Cheers to you!

1 comment:

A simple life said...

So glad you got treated by Tom. Maybe that air conditioner split thing will drown out the noise from his piano serenades at 1 am!