Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Yesterday's muses


There is something really soothing about watching laundry tumble in a washing machine at the laundromat. I have two washers going and the chair sits two feet away. I've watched the entire fourteen minutes. The water adds to the tranquility and makes the washing machine the one to watch. The swish and swirl of the soapy water against the door. The sloshing and the hum of the machine. Is the water seeking for release? To drip on to the floor? Cause chaos, but unable to do so? Round and round. Splish. Splash. Swish. Someone should market this sound and video into a sleep app.


My husband suddenly is Mr. Organic. Years ago, he exploded if I brought home something organic. It's too much money! There's no difference! Now, he drinks a daily organic tea made with colorful powders and seeds he keeps in jars in my cabinet. He started buying organic eggs, brown ones where the hens are only fed vegetarian meals or  I admit the yolk is much yellower and have convinced myself it tastes better, despite hearing my dad's voice calling utter bullshit.

But I have issues with these eggs. First, every time, and I'm not making this up at all, EVERY TIME I crack the egg a piece of shell ends up in my bowl, the pan, or in my mouth. Secondly, I can not remove the brown shell from a hard boiled egg without taking part of the egg with it. A Google search told me it has to do with the type of feed fed to the chickens. That brown eggs are harder to crack. Now I hear my Aunt Lorene in my ear. She didn't curse, but she's rolling her eyes.


Spring is so pretty. All of the colors. This year Florida's jacaranda trees are slow to bloom. Only one of the trees on my usual route is showing its purple colors. I tell myself that it means I'll have spring longer, but then I worry. What if they don't bloom? My friend Jim points me to his flowers when I pose this question. Look at the beauty that is here. A good lesson I suppose.


Tom has listened to me bemoan the fact that I can't listen to my records without speakers. He has purchased a contraption that will allow me to do so. It was a Christmas present and the one that he has every year, the one that he knows he bought for someone but can't remember where he put it. He found it. I'm trying to decide what albums to pull out. One favorite is Rupert Holmes' Partners In Crime. The first track is Escape. The song about the guy reading a personal ad asking for someone who likes pina coladas and a bunch of other stuff and so he answers the ad and they agree to meet. Low and behold, it turns out to be his woman who placed the ad and they laugh and realize they are...what? perfect for each other?

I'm concerned about these two. I want to know what happened after. Does he realize that she might have cheated if another guy had answered first? Does she realize he is as empty as she is? Do they agree this isn't working? I tend to hear songs and wonder. Maybe I should write the endings to these songs. I've thought about that as a hook to my romance career. Write books based on songs... Hmmmm...

No comments: