Sunday, June 12, 2011

Conversation with a four year old

Ben:  "Hello Aunt Cara."
Me:  "Hi there Ben.  How are you?"
Ben:  "America is on the other side of the world, Aunt Cara.  It is on the orange side."
Me:  "The orange side, huh?"
Ben:  "We have an orange tree in our yard and we pick the oranges.  I like orange juice, but I don't like the pulp.  We have an automatic squeezer.  You plug it in and make the juice.  I make it with my mom.  I like cooking with mom.  She makes the best dinners ever.  I like sandwiches, especially grilled cheese ones.  It has Panera bread and cheese."
Me:  "That sounds delicious.  I hope I can have a grilled cheese sandwich when I visit you."
Ben:  "It has bits of ham in it.  Kids get the grilled cheese sandwiches and adults get soup."
Me:  "But I want a grilled cheese sandwich with ham in it."
Ben:  "Oh.  Well, well, uh, I could share with you maybe."
Me:  "That is so nice, Ben.  You would give me a bite?"
Ben:  "I have a bike.  I have one with training wheels and one without training wheels.  I ride without training wheels!!  My mom teach me to ride.  She loves to teach.  I speed down the hill and nobody can catch me.  Only a truck could catch me.  My dad drives a truck."
Me:  "So if I drove your dad's truck I could catch you right here in America, which is how this conversation started."
Ben:  "We live in the United States of America.  That is the country we live in.  Everybody lives in a country city.  What country city do you live in, Aunt Cara?"
Ben's mother:  "You just better end this now because this conversation will go on and on for hours."
Me:  "And I better stop now while I still know the answers, huh?"

2 comments:

K Anne said...

Funny. What country city DO you live in aunt Cara?

Gabby said...

Huh? I'm 12 and i didn't understand what you guys were talking about!!