Friday, June 17, 2011

Huh?

Since the whole texting craze began I have had to learn the texting abbreviations so necessary in the texting world.  These monikers aren't easy for me to text being an English major and the proud owner of a Liberal Arts degree.  I want to spell out each word and use proper punctuation, but in "getting in touch with technology" as my husband puts it, I have been known to use some abbreviations while texting.  I say "u" for "you" and "r" for "are" because otherwise my kids make fun of me.  I despise "LOL" for some reason that I can't explain so I ignore it when I see it and never use it.  Once in a blue moon I've used "Idk" and "bff" because Darcy use to go around repeating the commercial in which those were heavily favored and so it reminded me of her when I used them.

The other day my friend Kelly left a comment on my blog that used the abbreviation "IMHO".  I read her comment, and then I read it again.  "IMHO"? I thought.  Hmmm...  I read her comment again, and then I read it one more time.  "IMHO"?  WTF is that?  I tried to come up with some scenarios because I can't have Kelly be one up on me (which she usually is, but I pretend otherwise), but I couldn't get past "I am or I mean".  Nothing came to me for the "H" or the "O", and so I gave up on it and filed it away for later questioning of my children.

That night we went to dinner with my friend Cindy, her eleven year old son, and her fourteen-looks-like 21-year old daughter.  We were all chatting about this and that when I suddenly remembered the "IMHO", and so I looked across the table at the beautiful made up fourteen-looks-like-21-year old friend of Madison's and said, "What does "IMHO" mean?"

She leaned forward on the table, batted her mascara eyelashes, and calmly told me, "I...am... a HO!" 

Needless to say it broke us all up.  I explained the situation and paraphrased Kelly's comment, but no one knew what "IMHO" stood for so the fourteen-looks-like-21-year old daughter pulled out her Iphone and looked it up.

It means "In my humble opinion".  AH.  Now I want to know how in the BH did Kelly know that?

No comments: