Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I have bitten the Apple

I married a tech geek.  He has many talents, but his main talent is that he knows technology upside, inside, over and under.  He loves technology.  He loves techno gadgets, and toys, and things.  The benefit, for me, is that he refuses to buy these techno objects for himself and instead buys them for the girls or for me.  My problem is that I can't just accept these gifts happily; I guess because I feel guilt knowing that he would love to have this instead.

His recent passion has been Apple related toys.  After the nano Ipod came out he handed me a nicely wrapped package while we were watching television.  It wasn't even my birthday or Valentine's Day or anything.  I said happy things like, "What is this?  Why would you buy me a gift?  Why would you buy me an Ipod?  What am I going to do with an Ipod?"  It was black, for the Steelers, and it came with a case and an arm band to wear to the gym.  It took me all of one day to fall in love with it.  I still love that thing.

When the Iphone came out on the market he actually bought one for himself.  He kept apologizing for it, but I was thrilled that he had spent money on a toy for himself.  He played with the thing nightly adding music and movies.  He pulled out that phone every time we got into the van to travel down the street to the grocery.

Tom:  "I'm getting the GPS app so we know the route." 
Me:  "I go to the grocery every week.  I know the route."
Tom:  "Yeah, but this will tell us the fastest way to get there."

It got a little annoying.  Especially since I had no clue how to use the phone and was always terrified when he would hand it to me to look up something while he drove.  I would be stymied on getting it out of the case and then once I had it in hand I just kept saying, "I don't know how to get back to the main screen" until he would take it from me and work it and drive at the same time while I harped about how dangerous an Iphone was.

On my birthday he got me the new 4G Iphone.  I opened it and said happy things like, "An Iphone?  Why would you get me an Iphone?  I like my old phone.  I don't even know how to use this thing.  Does my old phone still work?"  It took me all of an hour to fall in love with it.  Before people couldn't reach me on my cell phone because I never carried it or it was so buried in the bottom of my purse that I never heard it ring.  No more!  The Iphone goes into my pocket first thing in the morning while I take my BP meds because you never know when I might need to look up useful information.  I love that thing.

Before our anniversary rolled around I saw that he was eyeing the new Ipad 2, and I jumped on it saying happy things like, "Don't even think about buying that for me.  If you want an Ipad then get it for yourself.  What would I do with an Ipad?  I have an Iphone.  And a computer with two monitors.  I like my monitors (another techno thing I resisted and ended up loving).  I don't want to carry around another thing and it won't go in my purse.  We are going to Costa Rica so let's not exchange presents for our anniversary.  Let's buy something there for both of us."  It apparently fell on deaf ears.

I opened my anniversary card and it said that an Ipad 2 was on its way with my name engraved.  I rolled my eyes and tried to thank him, but it came out very whiny.  Seriously?  That much money on an anniversary gift?  I hadn't bought him anything because I thought we had agreed.  Sigh.  What was I going to do with an Ipad.

Then my mother's Ipad 2 came in the mail from her sister.  Madison gave lessons to both of us on how to use it.  It took me thirty minutes to fall in love with it.  I came home pumped and excited and ready for my own Ipad to arrive.

Tom:  "I have good news and bad.  Which one do you want first?"
Me:  "Uh, the bad, I guess."
Tom:  "Something went wrong with the credit card and your Ipad isn't coming."
Me:  "What?  What?  I'm not getting the Ipad?  But I want it now!  I want the Ipad!"
Tom:  "Sorry."
Me:  "Well what is the good news?"
Tom:  "The company is shipping you a free Ipad case in apology."
Me:  "There giving me a free case for an Ipad I don't have?  What the hell?"

He explained the whole nonsense over the credit card, and for several days I said happy things like, "Well, I could take notes on what the doctor is telling you, but I don't have an Ipad.  Well, if I had the Ipad I was suppose to get for my anniversary I could jot that information down or look up that information."  Apparently, it was too much for him to take and so he re-ordered me another Ipad.



I've had it now a little over two weeks, and I DON'T KNOW HOW I'VE LIVED WITHOUT IT.  The thing is amazing.  It's like a little mini computer laptop, Iphone, and Ipod all rolled into one.  The free case isn't that great, but it does turn off and on the Ipad automatically when opened or closed.  It doesn't really protect anything but the screen so I guess I'll have to invest in a good case. 


Oh, and a bigger purse because I have to carry this thing with me at all times.  Who knows when I might have to look something up or take notes.


4 comments:

K Anne said...

That was freaking hilarious Cara! And so well written IMHO. Brava on a fabulous blog entry.

Susan said...

Just one question...will Tom be giving any of his other wives an iPad? :)

K Anne said...

by the time his gifts of technology trickle down to me, his 4th wife, I will probably be getting an electric typewriter.

Gabby said...

Who is his 3rd wife????????