Friday, June 10, 2011

Starting summer off right

It has been a busy week at my house the last month. School is over and summer, as we know it, has begun. I'm wondering how long it will take before I hear the "I'm bored" slogan. A friend of mine suggested we give the kids last week and this week to just chill and do what they want before we start dictating their summer. I agreed to that and was sorry I did by day 2 when Madison slept until 1:00 PM both days.

But a promise is a promise, and I still remember being that age so I'm trying to accommodate them. I enjoy having my kids at home and doing things with them, but I'm already running out of ideas.  Our first real day, we decided it was this Monday, we were recuperating from all the end of school festivities we had from the week before.  We loped around the house sleeping and watching movies on television.  Finally, the next day we came alive and met up with some friends at the beach.


We got there early, around 9:30 in the morning.  It was a beautiful Florida June day with sun and warmth.  We spread out our chairs and our towels, and the girls immediately went into the water.  The adults talked and munched on snacks.  I eventually wandered into the gulf, making sure to do the stingray shuffle, and floated for some time.  When I got out and settled back into my chair we had some dolphin sightings.


There were four dolphins swimming in pairs just inside the buoys.  They were frolicking and having a good time knowing the people in the water and on the beach were pointing and oohing and aahing.  They came up plenty of times to show off and for people to take photos.  I unfortunately was on the beach and did not have the zoom camera with me so my pictures seem to all be of one dolphin out of the water or of nothing but blue water and sky.


But it seemed like a nice way to start off the summer.  Dolphins are good luck so we are all hoping this summer will be a good one!

No comments: