Friday, January 27, 2012

Out of the mouths of my babes

A few years ago before New Year's eve, while out taking photos of my sister-in-law with as many palm trees as she could find in my neighborhood, the three of us (Cara, Kelly, and Susan) began talking in a British accent.  I don't remember how it started or why we were doing it, but we decided we liked it and so we kept doing it until we couldn't remember how to not do it.

We got fairly good at it, or at least we thought we did, and when people asked us if we were from England we told them we were in a upcoming play or film where we had to speak in a British accent.  We gave ourselves British names and continue to this day to play this little game when we are to together, or sometimes when we aren't together.  I admit I'm probably more apt to speak in the accent then they are.

The other night Madison and I picked up Thai food at a restaurant near our house that I had never been to before.  We called in our order while out grocery shopping and went to pick it up.  We went inside the restaurant where an adorable young Asian woman brought out my food.  When I handed her my credit card she squealed in delight.

Her:  "OH Mickey Mouse! Cute! Cute!"

We laughed together.  I paid and we exited the restaurant.

Me:  "She was so beautiful, that girl.  OH Mickey Mouse! Cute! Cute!  That was so adorable and funny."
Madison:  "I couldn't really hear her."
Me:  "She was so enthralled with my credit card and I loved her accent.  OH Mickey Mouse!  Cute! Cute!  Forget the British accent.  I'm going to speak in an Asian accent now.  I like it a lot more."
Madison: (sighing)  "Mom.  Maybe, and I say this loosely, you maybe could pull off the whole 'I'm from Britain thing', but Asia?  NOT going to happen."

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh Hildy, what a dreadful photo of me, but love the palm tree! I so miss our chats around your pool while having tea...sigh...you must say hello to Beatrice for me!