Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Taking my daughter to work day

So last Friday Madison was out of school.  She slept late and ate breakfast late and then she came into where I was cleaning and asked if she could help me.  Instead of telling her to enjoy her day and just relax after a week of midterms I said, "Hell yes!"  I put her to work vacuuming.  I was pulling out furniture and dusting behind things and she went behind me and vacuumed.  We finished two bathrooms and a one bedroom when I moved into the hallway to tackle the linen closets.

Madison:  "Okay, so I'm going to go read."
Me:  "No, we aren't done.  This is like take your daughter to work day.  You're seeing what I do while you are away at school."
Madison:  "Uh huh."

At the beginning of the year I had read about something on the internet about starting the new year out right by organizing and de-cluttering closets.  One of the suggestions was an entry about organizing sheet sets.  I read it and thought it made sense and had schedule this task for the day.

Some time ago I wrote about learning how to properly fold sheets by watching a video on the Internet.  While my sheet sets stacked better with the proper folding they were still somewhat messy and taking up room on two shelves in different closets.  What I read on the Internet was that to organize sheets one would fold them up and put them inside the pillowcase.  Meaning Darcy's flowered set of sheets would be folded, stacked, and then put inside her pillowcase and put on the shelf.  The premise being that it stacked better, kept sheets together, and was simpler when making beds.  I liked the idea.

So I pulled all the sheets off the shelves and proceeded to refold them and stack them together according to beds.  Madison, who thought the whole idea silly, stood and watched me.  So I gave her a lesson in how to properly fold sheets.  Then we got down to the business of putting the sheets inside the pillowcases.  I was glad that I had Madison's help in that as it was difficult to do without her holding open the pillowcase.  When the set was inside the pillowcase I was left to wonder what to do next.  I don't remember what the Internet suggested.

So I folded the top over and under and left it at that.  It made for some interesting stacks, some a bit lopsided, but it was my first attempt.

The great thing about it was that all the sheets fit on one shelf in one closet.  We had some extra pillow cases and sheets and Madison suggested we shove them all in one extra pillowcase which we did.  The next thing the Internet suggested was that to keep the sets fresh one should insert a bar of soap between the sets.  We decided to use a bar of soap from Auntie Marilyn's town that she put in everyone's stocking.


In went the soap and the job was done.  This week I remade Darcy's bed, and I have to say that it was super easy to just pull out the pillowcase with the sheets inside and dump it on to her bed.  I think this Internet suggestion was a keeper.

Then Madison tried to see how many toilet paper rolls she could stack.  She tried for three, but didn't quite make it.  We eventually finished organizing both linen closets and then Madison said she was done with take your daughter to work day.


And since it was my break time I agreed.

No comments: