Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday 5 Tidbits

  • I watched on the news last week about an area in Kentucky where thousands of birds in a neighborhood woods would come out in a huge flock to rest in a tree. The channel showed photos of the tree covered in birds, and I started screaming, "Yes! Yes! That is what I witnessed!" One of the women interviewed said when they flew off the sound was like a huge rain coming down. "Yes! Yes!" There was no explanation for it, but the neighborhood was concerned about bird infections. Huh? I didn't worry about that. I was more concerned with not getting my eyes pecked out.
  • I downloaded an app on my Ipad that is called Itunes U where I can take college courses on my Ipad from universities that have climbed aboard with Apple. I've browsed through some of the colleges such as Indiana University, Boston College, Baylor, and Cornell, but I've decided to take some medical courses from Harvard so that when people ask me what's up with the scrubs I'll have a great response.
  • My god, but how beautiful is Jennifer Lopez? On my 55' HD TV she is so gorgeous I can't believe she is real. She changes up her hairdos and outfits and each one makes her more perfect then the one before. Her skin is perfection, her eyes twinkly, and she is sweet as honey. I've always been a fan of hers as an actress, but I could just sit and look at her on my TV all day long and she wouldn't have to do anything but smile.
  • I've joined up to be a Yahoo Contributor, but so far haven't thought of one think to contribute.  Maybe I should interview my sister-in-law about her new business which would get it out there on the Internet and we would both win?  Hmmm...I'm liking that idea.
  •  My youngest has made it into Duke's Tip Program for 7th graders.  It is based on test scores from standardize testing and allows members to participate in programs that Duke University sponsors for gifted students.  My eldest has been a member since 4th grade, and while she is interested in some of the online courses she hasn't signed up to do them.  They also offer the chance to take the SAT or the ACT in the 7th grade just to get a feel for the test and to see how you rank with high school students around the world.  My eldest killed the SAT and did better than 75% of the high school takers in the state of Florida.  Now my youngest wants to take it, but she isn't the test taker her sister is, and I worry that it will defeat her.  Then of course I worry that I have the wrong perception of her abilities.  Because of her age and the new Internet rules I can't sign her up online, but instead have to march into a high school and see a guidance counselor about picking up an SAT packet.  My high school daughter refuses to navigate the "scary offices" for me, and now with all of this swirling through my head I'm feeling pressure.  Jeez.  You would think I was going to take the SAT.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Thank you for encouraging me to blog yesterday!! Now, do you have any other ideas I can steal? hahaha