Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Working...one resolution at a time

Onychophagia is what I have; compulsive nail biting.  I didn't know there was a name for it until I started researching how to quit.  I figured that if there were drugs and methods to help people stop smoking that surely the same would be true for onychophagia.  And I was right.  I can purchase some hand cream that I rub all over my hands.  It is full of natural ingredients that taste terrible, but that also deliver vitamins and nutrients to my nails and cuticles.  Only $34.95 plus shipping and handling.  I left that idea for a last resort.

I have to stop this habit because it is ruining my teeth.  My dentist tells me it is because I grind my teeth in the night and during the day, and while I agree this is true, he has no clue how often I chew my nails.  I've tried to explain it to him, but he obviously hasn't been around someone with onychopagia before.

I spent considerable time searching the net and discarded five suggestions:
  1. Putting latex finger protectors on my fingers - I rejected this one when I read that these protectors look like "tiny condoms".
  2. Have someone smack you when he sees you chewing nails - All I had to do was envision my friend SueG, who HATES my nail biting habit, being given this task, and I threw this one right out the window.
  3. Take a photo of my ugly nails - Pfft.  My nails aren't that ugly, thank you.  I never chewed until things bled.
  4. Paint my nails - Been there and done that on the painting.  All I ever did was pick off all the nail polish and then chew the nail.  
  5. Put animal feces under my nail - Okay, this one was listed as an old wives tale and not widely suggested, but just in case I vetoed it too.
The ten suggestions that I did like and decided to try are as follows:
  1. Add calcium and magnesium to my diet - Some of the sites said my onychophagia could be related to a lack of these two nutrients in my body so I figured this was a good one to begin with.  Foods high in calcium include milk, cheese, broccoli and brussel sprouts, all foods I should be eating in my regime of lowering my cholesterol.  The same can be said for the foods high in magnesium with almonds, cashews, black beans, spinach, and whole wheat flour listed as foods to do the job.
  2. Rub olive oil all over my hands - Not only does this help keep the nails healthy, but the taste puts many nail biters off.  Plus olive oil is on my list for cholesterol lowering!
  3. Putting gloves on my hands - Gloves are on sale at Target right now and this seems an easy thing to carry in my back pocket.
  4. Rub lotion or hand sanitizer all over hands - This one seems easier to do then the olive oil one.  I got some little hand sanitizers in my stocking for Christmas!
  5. Snap a rubber band that I wear on my wrist - This is an old behavior modification that is suppose to lessen my desire.  Hmmmm...
  6. Eat carrot sticks - Again this one works with my new health regime, but carrying carrot sticks in my back pocket seems harder then the gloves.
  7. Find another habit - But the site stresses not to find one that will be bad for me.  My mother is worried I will continue my hair twirling which for some reason drives her crazy.  Which makes it more enticing to me...
  8. Start out with a "protected nail" first - The idea is to just have one nail in the beginning that you don't chew.  When the urge hits you can chew the others, but not the "protected" one.  Then the beauty of the "protected" one will spur me on to add another "protected" one until all ten will be "protected" and beautiful.
  9. Chewing gum -This is one I've done a thousand times, but it is a good one.  It also helps in curbing your appetite so it is an added plus.
  10. Get fake nails - I've also done this one before, and despite the cost, it works.  I don't chew the acrylic nails and my cuticles and sides of my fingers look nice.  Because the of the cost I'm adding it as a last resort as well.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I have never chewed my nails so I can't offer any advice, but as you know Gabby conquered her nail biting habit... fear of germs was her motivator...a speaker at her school informed the kids that every time they placed their fingers (even just the nails) they were exposing themselves to all kinds of nasty germs...even their own feces...even with short nails you don't always get all the cooties out of them and if you bite/chew on them you are likely getting the deep down germs...that is all Gabby needed to hear... good luck!

Susan said...

*in their mouths (left this out)