Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thursday tidbits

  • Connie had an appointment this week at a wound clinic for an evaluation on using a hyperbaric chamber for her wound. The doctor spent considerable time listening to the whole saga and taking notes. He also listened to my theories, which I told him saying, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one all the time." (I might wear my scrubs at next week's appointment) He is running some tests and we meet with him and the Foot God next week to discuss options. We toured the area with the chambers and Connie was relieved to see that they are much larger then the ones she slept in years ago.
  • My dog has a serious case of hero worship with my husband. He sleeps on the floor next to Tom's side of the bed. He follows Tom to the bathroom. He follows him when he wanders through our house. He sits at his feet when Tom is working at his desk. He sits at the front door and waits for him at night. He curls up with him on the couch.  No wonder my husband wanted a dog!
  • I managed to remember to feed Kelly's cat while she was out of town. I have to leave notes all over my house that reads, "CATS" so that I'll remember. My kids pointed out to me that she only has one cat, but she use to have two cats and I can't seem to get past the plural. I also set alarms on my phone so that I wouldn't forget. Then on Monday, despite texting Kelly regarding her airport arrival back to Tampa, I forgot about picking her up at the airport. Luckily, fifteen minutes before Darcy began putting on her soccer cleats and that triggered my brain. I don't think Kelly was sitting outside too long....
  • While feeding Kelly's cat this weekend I had to schedule feedings between commercial breaks in the NFL playoff games. The first day I got to her house at the beginning of the Saints/49ers game. While Madison brushed and tossed balls to the cat (who plays fetch like a dog) I sat on the couch and watched the game. When I first sat down and turned on the TV I remembered Kelly saying something was wrong with her television, that it didn't get cable channels, or the picture wasn't good, something, but I couldn't recall exactly. The TV when I turned it on was on the video screen, and because Tom once had our TV wired to work through the VCR, I thought this was the case and turned on her DVD player. Then I realized that Tom hadn't been over to her place to wire something like that, turned the player off, switched the screen from video to TV, and punched in the channel of the game. The screen came on with a nice clear, beautiful picture of the game. It crossed my mind, rather quickly, that the picture was better then Kelly had let on and that she must have done something with her cable company. I even changed channels to catch the pregame show for the other NFL playoff game. The next day I watched another playoff game, on a different channel, and had the same wonderful picture. On Monday I never turned on the TV, there being no games, and when Kelly asked me how I watched TV in her living room when the picture was all snow, I told her the truth. She then went home, turned on the TV, got her normal snowy picture, and texted me asking if I was messing with her. Perhaps her TV is only tuned for football? Perhaps is is operator error? All very stange, but not enough for me to wander over during the day while she is at work to try out the TV again.
  • Our week has been turned upside down with Madison taking midterms this week for the end of her first semester in high school.  She was able to choose three exams to exempt because she maintained an A average in each class and didn't miss any classes this semester.  Having exempted three exams made each day a challenge for her mother.  One day she went in later.  One day she got out later.  One day she had to be early.  One day she stayed late for as study group.  I've said, since she turned 15 in November, that I wouldn't be able to handle her behind the wheel of a car, but now I'm sort of changing my mind on that one...
  • My cousin's daughter, who visited us this Christmas, was out playing on the beach with my eldest daughter, when she brought up the fact that we had forgotten her brother's birthday in October.  Madison, not having a clue about such things, replied with something like, "Oh, we did?"  Anya nodded, very serious, and said, "So I don't want you to forget my birthday.  It is January 28th."  Put me right in my place upon hearing this little confab!  Not only have I sent her brother a gift, but I ordered and sent her gift yesterday...TEN days before the big day.  I'm patting myself on the back....

No comments: