Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thursday 5 tidbits

  1. My youngest, a 7th grader, partnered up for this year's science fair.  She wanted to do an experiment regarding the difference between organic food and non-organic food.  She wanted to taste kids to see if they could tell the difference, her thought being that if you couldn't tell the difference taen you should eat organic food as it is proven to be more healthy.  Tom, Madison, Kelly and I tried to explain that this really wasn't a scientific experiment.  We told her it wasn't science related at all.  She ignored us, went ahead with the project, ended up doing most of it herself as her partner went out of town, dropped the ball on the board, and got sick.  The day of the fair I visited it just as she was being questioned by one of the judges.  My father was jumping up and down in his grave because that girl was selling this project like nothing!  And she tied for first place and moves on to the county science fair.  She thinks we know nothing.  I think she has a future in sales.
  2. When I was a teenager with a car I was expected to care for it, which I did.  My neighbors across the street, however, were the kings and queens when it came to washing their cars.  They would use toothbrushes and towels and buckets and sponges and vacuums and would spend hours cleaning each and everything on their cars.  I use to think something was wrong with me because I was too lazy to do the same thing.  I was in awe at their attention to detail and wondered if their parents had done something mine hadn't to warrant such devotion in car cleanliness.  Every time I wash my car I think of them, and while I do more now then I did then, I still don't feel I have that dedication.  Yesterday, however, I finally think I achieved it.  I started out vacuuming my van and by the time I was done I had removed the seats in my van (something we have never done) and spent four and a half hours cleaning the carpeting and every place inside and out.  Today, I am unable to move, and I wonder if my neighbors still put that much attention in cleaning their cars now or if they pay someone else.
  3. I've tried the glove method for not chewing my nails, and that worked well during our cold weather time, but not so well during our 79 and 80 degree weather.  I tried the olive oil, and while it gave my nails a healthy glow, it was messy.  I'm now on the method of leaving four nails as my model nails, the ones I'm not allowed to chew at all.  I only did this method because I chewed all the other nails.
  4. I cut out a recipe in our paper two weeks ago for "cowboy cookies" that were made with chocolate chunks, nuts, oatmeal, and coconut.  I kept saying I was going to make them, but I've never been a great cookie maker.  I never liked having to mix the dough as it was too heavy holding the bowl with one hand and the spoon with the other.  Sort of like car cleaning, I would give up halfway through and leave it to my mother or brother to finish.  This time I was determined to make these cookies, and with the help of Madison's new Christmas present, I did!  She got a standing mixer, and boy is that little thing the greatest thing ever!  No wonder people spend the big bucks on it.  It mixed up my cookie dough like nothing, no matter what stuff I dumped into the bowl.  The cookies came out delicious, although next time I'd add more stuff then the recipe called for, and my friend suggested some more additives I want to try.  Although, after four days of eating them I'm kinda thinking I need a break...
  5. Giving up coke products is harder than I thought it would be.  I gave up diet sodas back when I had my stomach issues and instead jumped into the sugary ones.  That in turn raised my cholesterol (hey, I have to put the blame somewhere) so now I have to cut them out.  While I am a huge water drinker I still need something to supplement.  I've tried green tea and fizzy flavored waters, but seriously?  I miss a good soft drink. 

2 comments:

Barry said...

Cara, I dont know about Rob and Michelle, I still detail the cars when I clean them up. My daughter thinks I am nuts about the frequency of washing/waxing of our cars, by my son will be just like the rest of the family.

Michelle said...

NO!!!! I don't detail a car anymore. I take it to the car wash! As for Rob, he takes his vehicles to the car wash all the time. They wash and detail it for him. He always seems to call me to see how things are going when he is at the car wash (basically I talk to him about once a week). Now that you've cleaned the inside...when are you getting started on the outside? (don't forget the toothbrush...LOL)