Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another wasted day?

Tuesday night we didn't eat dinner until 9:30 PM because of the speech contest where my daughter placed 4th. She hadn't been hungry before the contest, and since I was still full from my southwest chicken salad with jalapeno dressing from lunch, I decided dinner could wait. Wrong move. I was up all night with a full stomach. I think I finally fell asleep around 3:00 in the morning. That is only four hours of sleep for a woman that usually gets six hours but should have eight.

So, after dropping off the children at school yesterday I came home, played on the computer, and then went back to bed to sleep off my not sleeping the night before. Nothing got done in my home or my life. So much for good intentions.

Today my youngest awaken me by coming into my room crying and moaning, "Mommy? Mommy?" She told me she was sick, which translated into my fuzzy still half asleep brain as vomit, so I leaped out of bed screaming, "Go to the bathroom! The bathroom!" Turns out by sick she meant fever, sore throat, and dizziness. She is home from school where I am trying not to think "swine flu" despite the helpful advice of everyone around me.

Jyoti - "Dev says you should take her to the doctor. The swine flu thing he says."
Robin - "Well, swine flu it isn't something you want to mess with."
Kelly - "Is her tail getting curly? If her nose gets circular and flat and she turns a pinkish color then you should probably think about taking her in."

Okay, well not all of it was helpful.

The point is I am still in my pajamas at 11:00 AM. The breakfast dishes are still in the sink, the egg pan still on the stove. Darcy is on the couch curled up with Molly, sucking her thumb, and watching cartoons. I am not getting anything done in my house or in my life. Except for this post. Does that count?


2 comments:

Connie said...

I should think that the mother of a daughter who finished 4th out of 2800 speakers is entitled to a rest or two, not to mention a bow or two.

Lily Ann said...

That staying up all night always wrecks the next day. Too often I've tried it. I don't recommend it. But a busy mother doesn't always have sleep at the top of the to-do list. Congradulations on your daughter getting 4th place.