Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Memories and Photos

A few years ago I bought a bunch of photo boxes and organized all my pictures. Every picture is put into a category that is typed on the front of the boxes, and inside I have written things regarding the categories on note cards. I think I did this because I pictured my own children one day looking through these boxes and wondering who these people were. Now they will have at least some idea.

For example one of the categories is titled, "Cara's Friends" and inside are pictures of my closest friends at the time. The first is Kelly and a description of my relationship with her. It reads, "Pictures of Kelly through the years. I met Kelly in the 2nd grade when I moved to Evansville, IN. Kelly was the first person to show me around the school. Kelly and I lost touch for a few years in college but hooked back up in the late 1980s. Kelly moved to Florida to live after Darcy was born."

Most of the photos since then are digital, but I have had several that are still on photo paper and so these pictures have gone into a drawer marked "Pictures" in my office. Recently I realized that that drawer is so full I can't even close it anymore so I decided to start filing those photos.
But that led to looking back through photos and so I felt the need to share. Especially with those people, I know who read my blog. I think I'll do a different person each week. Won't that be fun?
And since I used her as an example, I might as well start with her. She will be so honored.

Pictures of Kelly from my photo box:


This is Kelly and my brother, Rusty. I'm not sure, but I think Rusty is trying to be cool (as in hip) and Kelly is trying to look sexy. I think they both pull it off, don't you?


This picture was taken one day when Kelly and I were fooling around with a movie camera of my Dad's. We really didn't know how it worked, but we were bored and being the creative girls that we were we wrote an indie short.

Kelly took the hair out of her hairbrush and molded it into a mustache and then she wore my father's coat and hat and pretended to be my father. I don't really remember any of the film and unfortunately, we never did get to see it finished.

(I don't think there was any film in the camera, thank goodness because most of the pictures would have been of me giving my brother the finger and of him cursing me out. We thought we could get each other in trouble by filming the cruel things we said and did to each other.)


This picture was taken at my father's family farm. Kelly, my friend Sharon, and I had gone there to spend the weekend. Sharon was visiting Indiana from Florida and I guess we thought the farm would give her a taste of Indiana. As usual, Kelly got creative and we filmed her in many different outfits that she found through the house.

This is her by the well. I also have pictures of her in this outfit standing in a canoe in the middle of the pond recreating George Washington's famous pose. In this one, she is holding a fishing pole as if she were off to catch us all dinner.


This picture she might kill me for, but I think it hilarious! This was a satin sheet she found in the farm bedroom and put it on and talked in various accents. I especially love the contrast with the blue wall and the orange/yellow/green bedspread.

My girls will someday sift through these photos. Kelly won't need a description for her category since my girls know (and LOVE her), and when they see these pictures they won't need to know the story behind them because they will just chalk it up to Kelly being Kelly. But this is why we take photos....to bring back great memories.

1 comment:

K Anne said...

I AM honored! I have most of those photos but the one with the satin sheet...that's new to me. Still I look like Cara's foreign exchange student friend. I am not offended.