Monday, April 06, 2009

Boo Hoo our Piper is gone....

We had to give the dog back last night to her owners. We packed up her belongings and loaded her in her crate in the back of our van. We were expecting a real happy reunion scene when we arrived, maybe because Tom and I grew up on Lassie, but Piper was very nonchalant about being home. I like to think it was because she loved being with us and loved everything we did with her.


I told her family that when she refused to eat or drink and just moped around the house because she missed us so that they could call us to come and get her. And then they could just get another dog. They laughed, but they will see. That dog had a good life here at our house.


I dreamed about her last night. When I awoke this morning I expected to find her sitting by the bathroom door. Later this morning when I returned from taking one kid to school and the other to the doctor's office I expected her to come strolling in for a pat on the head. Boo Hoo. No Piper.

It was a good experience having her here. Everyone did well and we enjoyed having her. Problem is she spoiled me for any other dog. She didn't jump on people. She didn't bark when the door rang or someone entered the house. She didn't jump on the furniture. She didn't chew up things. She didn't try to run out of the house. If she happened to get outside she stood and looked around. The dog is a saint. She is perfect. I want HER for our dog.

Our neighbor recently lost her dog to cancer. I asked her if she would get another dog. She said not right away. Later I remembered that that is not what you ask people who have lost their dog. That is one of the pet peeves (no pun intended) of dog lovers; asking if they will replace their loved one as if that were possible. Well, now I understand that feeling. I miss our little Piper-for-a-week and no other dog will make me happy!

No comments: