Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From the email box.....

An email I received today and my responses:

Adults used to bore us to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were for them growing up such as walking miles to school in the snow....uphill, no less. I remember thinking I would never do that when I got older and had kids, but now that I'm over the age of thirty I can't help myself......
  • When I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves....in books! Yes, but today's books are not up to date for school information....not like the net.
  • When I was a kid we didn't have email. We had to write letters to someone and then walk across the street to put it into a mailbox, and then it would take a week to get there. Stamps were 10 cents. I pictured this person around my age or younger, but the walking across the street to the mailbox? Hello? Mailbox right outside your house!
  • When I was a kid Child Protection Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, our parents' friends and neighbors also had permission to kick our butt. Nowhere was safe. So true there! We always watched out for ALL the neighborhood parents when we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing.
  • When I was a kid there were no MP3 players or Napsters. If we wanted to steal music we had to tape it off the radio. Loved that one! I still have my tapes of music from WQYK, tapes of the University of Evansville basketball games, and even tapes of TV shows.
  • When I was a kid we didn't have Caller ID or Call Waiting on our telephones. If the phone rang, it was a mystery. If you called someone and he was on the phone, guess what, you got a busy signal. We called back later. Yep, and prank-calling people was fun and we couldn't get caught!
  • When I was a kid there was a little book called TV Guide and we had to get up to change the television channel. Some of us didn't even have cable but had rabbit ears instead. My kids still get up to change the channel because they LOSE the remote about every day.
  • When I was a kid there was no Cartoon Network. The only time we got cartoons were on Saturday mornings. My god, how did our parents raise us?

2 comments:

Susan said...

Gabby and I didn't recognize darcy in the picture...she looks so much older...gabby said "look how long her legs look, they reach the floor!"

K Anne said...

I remember when some friends from the east coast told us about something called Home Box Office. It was this channel where you could see theater movies...at home...no commercials...no cuts or censorship. It seems like something from outer space! And I couldn't wait to get it.