Tuesday, May 05, 2009

From the archives (part 2)

The second entry from my 2004 crown episode which I'm pulling out of the archives for my sister-in-law who had her temporary crown placed on her tooth on Friday.

A Cap For All Seasons
June 28, 2004


I went today to make the mold for the crown I must have for a cracked tooth. For eleven weeks I have worn a temporary cap. In the beginning, the cap felt funny. It was rough, too even at the bottom, and it was seriously ugly against my real teeth. But as the days, and then weeks went by, I grew to like my temporary cap. It is now as much a part of me as, well, as my glasses. I love my contacts, but when I'm tired or my eyes are sore, my glasses bring me great relief and comfort.

Because the temporary cap is bringing me much relief and comfort I did not panic when my 4 weeks of wearing it came to an end with no phone call from my dentist. I was supposedly waiting 4 weeks to make sure a root canal was not necessary. I even shudder to think what the hell that would entail. So 4 weeks, then 5, then 6 weeks went by. I started to wonder where my crown was and if someone else might be wearing it.

By the 8th week, I was imagining the technician looking at the mold of my tooth and shaking his head. "What the hell is this?" At week 9 I swallowed and made the call to my dentist. My crown was nowhere to be found. It wasn't until the 10th week that they discovered that I had never come back in (yeah, like I know all about the crown procedure, having had NONE before this one) after my 4-week temporary cap trial period to make yet another mold for my crown.

By the time week 11 and my new appointment rolled around, I had decided that the temporary crown and I were one. I seriously did not need the crown. I mean, hell, I'm not even a real princess. Haha! My dentist did not find this amusing. Probably because she had already pocketed the $600 for the crown, that no one had yet made!

Off came my temporary crown, and I wanted to cry. Not only could I feel my nub now, but it was sensitive to touch and water. I sat through another tortuous molding session, wondering if my temporary cap would have another job after being fired from my mouth. I could give it a glowing recommendation. It let no pain enter my mouth. It never wiggled or fell out, even past the recommended 4 week period. It sure as hell didn't cost $600 as the hygienist had made it herself right there in the office.

"Oh, Cara," the hygienist laughed when I told her how much my temporary cap meant to me, "You are so funny." Then she reclined my chair and once again sealed my temporary cap onto my tooth.

And again we are one....I'm told for at least the next 10 working days, which I'm sure I can stretch out for say, another 11 weeks?

No comments: