Sunday, May 17, 2009

A week in review

  • I should've never revisited and posted my crown escapades because while eating blue cotton candy over last weekend my crown chipped. How is that possible? Now my tongue scrapes against it daily. I didn't call the dentist as I thought I had an appointment this coming Wednesday. Saturday I received a reminder card and it says June. Now I have that card and the card that says my damn appointment is this Wednesday! Which one is right?
  • I spent most of Wednesday cleaning Kelly's old apartment as I am determined that she shall receive back her security deposit. I moved everything still left in the place into one room. I filled the room. How anyone can own so much stuff, have it all in a two-room place, and not have it noticeable is beyond me. I think she is magic. The worst part of the whole cleaning process was not having a place to sit and rest as the furniture was all gone and I'm too old for the floor.
  • I started back at the gym on Tuesday and by Friday could barely walk without limping.
  • I prepared only one somewhat healthy meal this week and it was something I had cooked previously and frozen.
  • I did five loads of laundry on Monday morning and forgot that my new favorite pair of pants had something spilled on it. I washed and dried it and now they are my pants to help Kelly move in. They go well with my car repair shirt.
  • I went to Target and only spent $22.
  • I bought four new shirts to help cover the economy and my big belly.
  • I did not stick to my goal of drinking nothing but water until the weekend. I consumed diet coke, a mike's hard lemonade, peach tea, coffee, cranberry juice, and lemon tea.
  • I researched homeschooling so that I can keep my children involved in school over the summer. First on the list is "handwriting" as their handwriting is horrible. Years ago when I brought this up with one of the teachers, she responded with, "They don't need handwriting or know how to spell. This is the age of computers and spell checking." And to think I pay for this school!
  • My library books are overdue.
  • I did buy plane tickets for this summer and that is a huge relief and great weight lifted off my shoulders. Now I just need to plan another week.
  • School is winding down and there is something going on daily: 
    *I drove some of the middle school students to the nursing home they visit for community service. The residents threw an ice cream party for the graduating 8th graders. Interesting to chat with some of the residents. 
    *Madison's middle school class performed A Midsummer's Night Dream in drama. Madison played Puck. A great job even though the language was strange. 


*Madison's sports banquet was Friday. The accolades went on and on for each player and there wasn't any alcohol served.

1 comment:

hwexpert said...

I get so angry at teachers who feel this way because learning to write, especially cursive, is good for teaching children to string their thoughts together. Also learning good finger dexterity and control helps in learning to focus and pay attention to detail. As for the spelling someone needs to learn to spell properly or we will be like the old si fi movies of the future where everything is abbreviations and if you don't understand them tough. Also if as the teachers predict only special people in the future will be able to read handwriting wouldn't you like your child to be one?